by Katy Becker, Clear Heart Healing
In Sanskrit, chakra means “wheel”. A healthy chakra is described as a spinning wheel of light. There are varying concepts about what chakras look like, represent and explain. To me, chakras are energy centers at various points in the body that can be utilized as information centers to connect, process, and express different aspects of your body, mind, and spirit. Chakras stir what Western theory has diligently tried to separate (body and mind), and weave it together in energy patterns as complex as humans beings. The balance and health of our thoughts, actions, and feelings reflect the balance and health of the energy patterns expressed in each chakra.
These theories and beliefs date back thousands of years in ancient Indian philosophy which describes connections of the mind, body, and spirit through the chakra system. Some people are skeptical about the existence of chakras because they are part of the subtle energy system, undetectable by an x-ray or MRI, but I believe humans can develop greater sensitivity than machines.
The following are our seven major chakras:
Sanskrit Name: Western Name: Location: Color: Endocrine Gland: General Association
- Muladhara: Root Chakra: Base of Spine: Red: Adrenal Glands: Safety
- Svadisthana: Sacral Chakra: Near Sacrum: Orange: Ovaries/Testies: Relationships and Creativity
- Manipura: Solar Plexus Chakra: Abdomen: Yellow: Pancreas Gland: Sense of Self
- Anahata: Heart Chakra: Heart: Green: Thymus Gland: Love and Compassion
- Visuddha: Throat Chakra: Throat: Blue: Thyroid Gland: Expression and Communication
- Ajna: Third Eye Chakra: Between and Above the Eyes: Indigo: Pituitary Gland: Intuition
- Sahasrara: Crown Chakra: Top of the Head: Violet: Pineal Gland: Spirituality
In yoga we use our physical bodies to stretch, refresh, and connect to our chakras. It is a way to slow down, simplify, clarify, and commune with our complex human system.
Katy’s exclusive Four-Day Chakra Yoga & Meditation Workshop kicks off next week. Connect, explore and heal through movement. Learn more and take advantage of 50% off here!
Katy Becker is owner of Clear Heart Healing and is a wellness educator and energy healer specializing in yoga, Pilates, Healing Touch and craniosacral therapy. Katy has a Master’s degree in holistic health studies from St. Catherine University. She is passionate about helping people connect to their bodies in a positive, life-affirming way. Connect with her on Facebook and Twitter.
Miller, O. (2004) The Chakra Deck. Chronicle Books LLC, San Francisco, CA
Wauters, A. (2002) The Book of Chakras.Barron’s Educational Series, Hauppauge, NY