by Nikki Vanacek, Traditional Chinese Medical Practitioner at TCM Wellness Clinic
When my mother went through menopause I thought she went crazy (sorry mom). She slept all the time because she didn’t feel well. She had fits of anger, sorrow, and withdrew herself from the rest of the world. She cried all the time – she just wasn’t herself. Her actions scared me – I was mad AND sad. She’d be doing the dishes and be drenched in sweat. I’d ask her what was wrong. She’d reply with, “Oh nothing. Our bodies just change as we get older.” I thought, dear God, please don’t let me go through this.
Fast forward to 7th grade health class. I learned a little bit about menopause and realized this was exactly what my mom was going through. That day, I promised myself that I would do whatever I could to keep myself and every other women from struggling through menopause. This experience also led me to choose Traditional Chinese Medicine as my career. With diet, emotional support, guidance, acupuncture and herbal medicine you can get through this transition of life and come out stronger, happier, and inner balance.
Menopause is something that all women will go through. Whether you go through it naturally or medically induced, most women suffer from symptoms of menopause in their 40s and 50s. Symptoms that occur are as minor as irregular periods, hot flashes, some headaches, and fatigue to major symptoms like insomnia, emotional changes and digestive issues. You can feel like you have been put into a different body and mind sometimes. Logically, your family understands the change, but their patience eventually wear’s thin. That is where Traditional Chinese Medicine can help you find relief. I can help you calm your mind, sleep, decrease hot flashes, restore joy, and help increase energy. Acupuncture is a safe, non-painful way to restore balance to your body. While herbal medicine will help to sustain your balance and strengthen deficiency in the body.
A few tips to help you begin to feel better right away:
- Enjoy relaxing yoga before bed
- No television after 8 pm
- Increase – Calcium and magnesium before bed
- Drink cool water with fresh cucumber (cucumbers have a cooling property!)
- Increase in your diet – Alfalfa, lettuces, watermelon, bananas, walnuts, salmon, honey, eggs (the whole egg), lemon, mint, grapes, pears, dark chocolate, kidney beans, soy, and white rice
- Decrease in your diet- Red wine, dairy, shrimp, ginger, trout, carbs after noon, sugars
Enjoy these cooling dishes to help you in the heat:
- Salmon with a lemon soy sauce glaze, a side of asparagus, sweet potatoes, and a Gin Mojito with mint
- White rice, eggs, edamame beans, carrots, with cranberries mixed together, and a glass of lemon water
- Grilled chicken in a romaine lettuce wrap with pears and Gouda cheese, alongside a glass of cucumber water
- Grilled pork chop with apple, pears, grapefruit chutney. Add a side salad and a cool crisp white wine.
Don’t let menopause stop you from enjoying the rest of this summer! For a limited time, take advantage of TCM Wellness’ 2 Hour Wellness Package including Acupuncture, Tui Na Massage and Cupping for $40 off. Learn more here!
Nikki Vanacek is a Board Certified Traditional Chinese Medical Practitioner and Certified Massage Therapist at TCM Wellness Clinic, located in Wayzata. She holds a Bachelors in Health Sciences and a Masters in Oriental Medicine from Northwestern Health Science University. Nikki also has two years of advanced practice of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine at The Courage Center in Golden Valley treating stroke, spinal cord injury and other neurological conditions. She has also trained at a top ranked medical college in Tain Jin China.
At TCM Wellness Clinic, Nikki helps people achieve a healthier lifestyle by using Herbal Medicine, Acupuncture, Massage and Bodywork, and Health & Life Coaching. Her specialties include stroke management, emotional health issues, women’s menstrual health issues, such as menstrual discomfort and pain, hot flashes, night sweats, and digestive conditions in addition to treatment of many other temporary and chronic health conditions. Connect with TCM Wellness Clinic on Facebook.